Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Singing the book



This song is by the Dixie Chicks and is called "Wide Open Spaces". I'm sure the song and be interpreted many ways but I'm thinking of it in how it relates to "What Happened to Goodbye". In "What Happened to Goodbye" by Sarah Dessen, McLean moves around a lot with her dad. She doesn't want to live her mom because her mom is the reason her parents got a divorce. Everytime her and her father move, neither know what is in store for them in their new town. Mclean always changed who she was in previous towns she lived in but in, Lakeview, the present town she lives in, she decides to stay herself, even if it was on accident. In "Wide Open Spaces", it says "A young girl's dream no longer hollow/ It takes the shape of a place out west/ But what it holds for her, she hasn't yet guessed". This relates to the book because Mclean doesn't move to Lakeview, expecting to meet friends and actually enjoy living there. On the first day of school, she meets two girls who become her closest friends. Even on her first night, she meets Dave, who she ends up liking. None of this she would have expected, but all of it happened. Another set of lyrics in the song that relate to the book are, "But now she won't be coming back with the rest/ if these are life's lessons, she'll take this test". At the end of the book, her dad ends up moving to Hawii, which would be an amazing place to move but with only about half a year left in her senior year of high school, it just wouldn't work out. Mclean and her parents talk it out and decide it would be best of she moved back in with her mom and step dad. Mclean doesn't like the idea but knows it's the only way to stay in touch with Dave and finish up school. When the moving day arrives, Mclean is saying goodbye to all her friends and her mom decides it would be better if Mclean stayed there. These lyrics relate to this part of the book because she isn't leaving again. She is staying in Lakeview and doesn't know how living there without parents will be but she is willing to try. Everything she has gone through is a life lesson for her and even if she doesn't succeed, she tried. In my opinion, all the lyrics work well with the song, but those are just two of the ones that stuck out to me. I hope you enjoy the song and if you read the book, you see how I thought they were related to each other.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! Alicia, I love love love love LOVE your blog! The background is my favorite color and your picture is so sweet! Wow, this song brings back memories. When I was little my mom would always sing Dixie Chick songs to me. They're all so great. Your book sounds really great. I love books that teach useful life lessons. Books like Harry Potter and Twilight teach life lessons but they're so unrealistic that it's hard to gather anything from them at all. Reading about people in real life situations is such a good way to learn. We all learn in different ways but I think books are our main teachers. I mean, think about it. Christianity comes from a book: The Bible. We learn life lessons from The Bible just like any other book. I hate to think where we would be without literature. "What Happened to Goodbye" sounds like a really great book and a great teacher as well. I like how you interperted it and applied this song. I hope the rest of your blog goes well, Alicia! Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm Jacquelyn from Fremd! I read this book for my April book blog and really liked it a lot. It's cool that you were able to relate it to a song. I can definitely see the connection. Nice post :)

    ReplyDelete