Monday, February 20, 2012

Independence day



Independence Day is by Martina McBride. It's about a girl who sees her father abuse her mother and although people know it is happening, no one says anything to get him arrested. She has to carry this burden around because she doesn't want her father in trouble but she still can't stand what he does to her mom. Now, I maybe totally wrong, but when I was the video and listen to the lyrics, that is what I pick up from it. I think this song relates to Because I am Furniture in a lot of ways. They are both about a girl, who has to go through life, knowing what happens behind the wallls of her house and acting like nothing is wrong when she goes out in public. When I think about the title, and how I can relate it to the book, I think of the day that Anke tells her family about her fathers affair with Angeline. Her father goes to jail and it sets her family free from what they've been scared of for so long. That's where I think this song fits so well with the book. There are still many other ways you can connect the two but those are the two that I feel fit the most.

1 comment:

  1. I clicked on this blog because I love the movie Independence day with Will Smith. I hate abusive families I think it's one of the most twisted things in this world. And our world is pretty messed up. I will definitely have to check this book out sometime. Great post. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete